Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Monterey Day Two: In which I try not to learn, commune with nature and retreat to the doodleverse...

So I’m not proud of it (my mother always told me bored people are boring) but I started to get a little bored today. The only cute girl in my class I’m pretty sure is gay (just a feeling, I don’t know if it’s the nosering, the fact that she’s a militant activist from San Francisco, or the “qrz” tattoo on her shoulder) and I’m positive she could kick my ass, and she's only 5'3".
I thought we might have some excitement when I saw this, but no luck yet.
We spent some four hours exploring group dynamics today, so I thought it appropriate to disengage and doodle.
The jellyfish were inspired by a series of meeting notes doodles by my friend Irene.
As you can see, eventually I moved into a whole undersea theme…
The pigs were also inspired by Irene, or perhaps by fellow doodlenaut murnkay (sp?), although I'm not quite happy with them yet. I may work on them tomorrow.

As frustration grew, this unpleasant scene somehow evolved…
I ate my lunch quickly so I could get outside and take some pictures (also, there’s only so much table talk you can take at these things. Not that it’s not interesting. I met a firefighter from Guam (territory, not a commonwealth. They have a legislature and a governor, and they elect a non-voting Congressperson. It’s in the Pacific.), a union head who is responsible for the transient native population of the entire SW 25% of Alaska, and a paint and drywall guy from Seatlle who considers Larry the Cable Guy his idol) and I came across this doe and her fawn.
After I scared her away (maternal instinct my ass), I was able to have a few moments with this guy. Here's the best one I got:
So what else? Tomorrow's a half-day, I thought about going into Monterey but you know, once you've been to the aquarium and had your sourdough bowl of clam chowder, there's just not that much going on. I heard that Thursday night after the BBQ there's a karaoke jam, so you know I'm gonna own that scene.

In the meantime, I'm just enjoying the relaxed pace, natural beauty, and political comfort.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I asked and you delivered! The doodle portion made me especially happy - I enjoyed seeing your progression from uncertain jellyfishdoodler to confident pro! (Usually by meetings end, my frustrations are high and my doodles become menacing as well).

-irene (I forgot the blogger login I just created the other day)

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home