Sunday, June 11, 2006

Why would anyone want to read this blog?


Frankly, I'm surprised it took me this long.

But, as a billboard near my apartment reminds me every time I get home, "Unshared photos are unshared memories," so this is my attempt to show off my burgeoning digital photography skills, while (hopefully) entertaining readers with stories from my upcoming vacation.

The itinerary is as follows. On Wednesday (June 14th) I leave for Hotlanta. Stankonia. A-town. The drrrrty south. Why on earth would anyone go to Georgia in the middle of June? Well it's like this. My friends Morgan and Laura made a movie called "the little Death" a couple years ago and they put me in it. I was so fantastic in it that the movie was selected as the closing film of the 30th Annual Atlanta Film Festival so I have to go. You know, to lend a little "star power" to the whole thing. It's not my first festival, but it's the first one I've been to where I had a movie in competition. Wish us luck.

So the first week of posts may just be reviews of the cool new deal-less movies I see there, but I'm sure there will be cultural sites as well. I understand that the Coca-Cola bottling plant offers a fascinating tour. And then there's the Delta terminal at the airport. We'll just have to see.

On the morning of Sunday, June 19th, I will fight the inevitable hangover of the closing night party with the inner joy from having won the Best Narrative Feature Award, drag myself off the motel room floor and get to the airport. I will fly to LAX, take another bag out of a locker, and then get on a plane to London, England.



My (extremely) generous Tante Marvel and Uncle Ted have offered their "flat" on a "mews" in the "United Kingdom." (I'm brushing up on my English. "Why don't you knock me up sometime?" "Pip pip cheerio, guv'nor, where's the lift to the loo?") An opportunity I couldn't pass up, as I've been to Heathrow three times and never to London.

Five whirlwind days later, assuming I don't create an international incident by rooting for Germany in the World Cup, I will fly back to LA for one night in my bed (and probably hours of laundry) and then it's off to Monterey, CA.



The Union Leadership Institute of the American Federation of Teachers happens every year at Asilomar, a beautiful retreat center riddled with nature. I mean the place is just lousy with deer, raccoons, and mountain lions. It's a chance to interact with other union leaders from up and down the west coast, while relaxing by the ocean for a week before starting my fifth year teaching fifth grade.

So that's the trip(s). I will try to update daily, and I encourage your questions, comments, and rants.

on the road again,
m@x

NB: Aside from the self-portrait, none of this post's photos are mine.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

nice use of the cottage cheese ceiling

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home